Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A New Book


After struggling in the studio all week with muddy paintings that feel overworked, I took the day off. In an effort to get some inspiration and clear my head, I wandered around town looking in stores and enjoying the sun shiny day. I bought a book called "Inside the Painter's Studio" that came out last year. It interviews about 24 working artists asking questions about their studio space, day to day processes and how they got started. It was written by an artist, so the questions are very tangible. Things like "When you are contemplating your work, where do you sit?" or "When did you consider yourself a professional artist?". I have been looking for a book like this for a long time - something real and that can provide practical inspiration. A little something that says "against all odds....keep going...don't give up.....we all struggled too, but we made it and you will too."

1 comment:

Lesley said...

That sounds like a really cool book! For the first time I'm going to have both kids in school all day, and where I was once chomping at the bit for them to go so I could paint all day, I am now kind of panicking at the thought of it. This might be a good book to read while I ease into more studio time.